Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why I call Boyfriend "Boyfriend"

I'm not going to give you the nitty gritty details of my personal life. I don't even post my location as part of my aim away status or use foursquare.

So instead of telling you how I'm a button pusher at Buttons for Buttons Inc. or whatever I'm going to talk about "job" and what I do at "job." Likewise I'm going to tell you how I live in Suburbia which is only 15 minutes to a half hour outside of The City. I live with Roommate and I'm dating Boyfriend. We might even get into Best Friend later.

Interestingly though, in real life I call Boyfriend "Boyfriend." I have noticed that Allie does this too, but I am not doing it to be like her. I actually wonder if she's doing it for the same reason I am: Gilmore Girls. On Gilmore Girls Rory had these two friends near the end of college. They were artsy and eccentric and when one of them started dating Marty she just called him Boyfriend to her friends and to his face which actually caused great issue because Rory didn't know Boyfriend was Marty and it was awkward when they met because they used to be friends and he liked her.

Why I've adopted a custom that lead to tv drama I couldn't tell you except to say that I'm not such a fan of normal terms of endearment. I'm not going to call Boyfriend honey, babe, dear, shnookums, or any of that. I might actually call him something like peanut, pumpkin, or love but mostly I just call him boyfriend or his real name.

No comments:

Post a Comment