Saturday, January 22, 2011

We can Pretend these are New Years Resolutions

On September 20th I wrote this list:

Things I want:
-Soon:
--A good job
--A decision about my future (job, what sort of grad school, etc.)
--An apartment with a roommate or by myself
--A good boyfriend I can see a future with
-Later:
--A place by myself
--To be totally financially independent
-Much later:
--A marriage I'm confient in
--A steady income
--Job fulfillment/satisfaction

What's interesting about this list is the timing of it. I wrote the day of my in office job interview at my current job and three days after my first date with Boyfriend. In the time since then job hired me and I've started, Boyfriend and I became officially in a relationship, and Roommate and I moved in together.

Is my job a "good job?" Yes. They pay me enough for me to live on, my coworkers are fun, supportive, and talented, I have my own office, and they are interested in making sure I know what I'm doing and have opportunities to be creative and grow.

Have I made a decision about my future? No way. I have no idea what I'm going to do. You know how Allie from Hyperbole and a Half wanted to be a doctor and about 500 other things and is now a runner/blogger? Well I'm like the less interesting version of that. When I was in college I decided I wanted to be a philosophy professor. I didn't get into any of the Ph.D. programs I applied to and so I took a year off, which turned into more than a year because I got all anxious about applications and papers and publications. Is philosophy what I really want to do and I'm holding myself back/settling? Or is philosophy what I wanted to do when all I knew was the academia bubble? I have no idea.

An apartment. Yes. Roommate and I have a lovely place right by the train station. We have cable and wired internet and a cat. She has a cat. Animals creep me out because I can't understand how they think and I'm pretty sure they all want to murder me.

Boyfriend I can see a future with. Yes. Boyfriend and I are very much in love. We've been together for a few months now and things are going well. I'm not ready to pick out china patterns just yet but that could have more to do with the fact that I'm four years younger than the state average for women to get married for the first time. I'd even consider myself a late bloomer so let's add two years to that. It doesn't take six years to pick out a china pattern so I have some time.

I think if I stick with job I can achieve the second set of goals. If I go to grad school the finance thing could take another decade though. The third set I don't know about but I certainly worry about that stuff enough that I bet I won't let it slip through the cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment