Monday, January 24, 2011

No One Likes Taub

Word of the day: Probity-complete honesty and integrity
Word of the day in a sentence: Many women say they're looking for a man with probity but then many of them end up with men like Taub and no one likes Taub.

For someone who can't spell and talks too fast I have a great love for big words.  I have a box of GRE exam words left over from the two times I took the GREs.  I take one word from the front of the box every weekday.  I read it, place it on top of the box, and consider potentially using it in a sentence.  At the end of the day I put the word in the back of the box.  There are over 500 words in the box so this process could continue for years before it seems repetitive.  If I'm feeling more playful in my vocabulary education I go to freerice.com instead of wasting time on here or on facebook.  Free Rice makes you feel good in a very Stuff White People Like way because you're learning pretentious things while also donating to charity.  Additionally, neither activity requires the commitment or effort you'd think it would.

Let's go back to Taub.  No one likes him. I know I said that but it's worth saying again. If you don't kow who Taub is, he's the short Jewish cheating ass hat of a plastic surgeon on House.  I like him best when he's throwing paint balls at a picture of himself, ending his marriage, or telling us how he was suicidal in college.  This is because these are the times he seems to most understand that he sucks as a person. Taub's wife never seems to realize he sucks as a person.  I'm not sure why.  He cheats, and for me that would be enough to want to castrate him, but for some women I know it isn't.  Usually women who stick with cheaters are focusing on some other characteristics of the man or their relationship which make it seem worthwhile.  In Taub's case I don't know what those would be.  There are no kids to stay together for, he isn't attentive or romantic, he doesn't make that much money, he isn't attractive by any standard, he isn't generous or honest, and I can't imagine he's good in bed. 

I was talking about this with Boyfriend last night.  Boyfriend doesn't watch House but he watched three whole episodes with me the other night. He even remembered which one Taub was.  His theory is that women don't have a lot of self esteem sometimes and so they stick with whatever man they happen to be with.  This is probably true but I have a hard time with it.  Once upon a time I was in a messy situation and I watched this girl go back to this guy we both knew was a lying scumbag.  Why did she do that?  I did some soul searching and chose to shun his existence like the Amish do.  If I could have arranged for his untimely demise so that I could be sure he wasn't out hurting other women I would have.  And yet she wanted to be with him?  Not only that, she spoke with me on the phone and asked that I be friends with him.  I think not.

It's people like that who deserve to be called two dimensional.  They are basically doormats.  They let people walk all over them and when something goes wrong instead of flexing their personality and shaping the situation to best suit themselves, they contort themselves and their needs to fit the situation.  If you do that enough you'll squeeze your personality until you're a boring sack of self doubt, totally generic. 

This post was a lot meaner than I thought it would be when I set out to share a vocab word.  But I'm just trying to share what's on my mind, to keep up a certain level of probity.

No comments:

Post a Comment